The digital revolution has taken the world by storm and everybody is just loving it. So much so that more than two-thirds of the people in a global survey say they cannot imagine a life without the internet. Surprised? It turns out the largest proportion of such respondents was in India, where 82% said it is no life without the worldwide web,behind even the US, where 73% said it is impossible to live without www…
More than 500 Million Indian Internet Users by 2022
- The majority of India’s internet users are mobile phone internet users
- They rely on cheap alternatives to expensive landline connections that require desktop PCs and landline connections
- 323m people accessed internet through mobile phones in 2016, about 24.3% of India’s total Population
India already 2nd largest internet market
- Despite large base of internet users, only 26% of Indian population accessed internet in 2015
- Men dominate internet usage in India at 71% to women’s 29%
So What do Indians do Online?
- Likes internet users world over, Indians too passionate about social media
- BY 2021, it is estimated that there will be 358.2m social network users
- Share of population accessing social networks to jump from around 16.3% in 2016 to over 25%
- India has the largest user base in the world of Facebook
- Online shopping is also a very popular activity. retail e-commerce sales stood at $16bn in 2016; projected to surpass $45 in2021.